Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Fathers and Future

Later in class we started to discuss father involvement and how it affects children in the present and also, in their futures.  We were assigned to write a paper on research we found and also personal experiences, as well as personal goals for our own family of creation.

I was a bit overwhelmed with the research that I found related to this subject.  I felt I had gone in assuming and expecting certain things and, although I found them, I was surprised at other information that I learned about from studies and other reports done regarding father involvement.

I learned that at times fathers can have more of an impact and influence on a child than a mother can.  This was not what I was expecting to read, but as I kept on reading I came to see and understand more and more how this could be true.  I have known some people who have not had relationships with their fathers whatsoever and they have shared with me the difficulty it has helped to create in their lives.

After studying about this topic and writing a paper, as well, I came to feel very strongly about father involvement.  It wasn't so much that I had never felt strongly about it before, but this time it was even more.  I really do want to make sure that I support my husband and love him so that our children can see that we work together.  I also want to support and encourage him to get to know each of our children individually so that they can have that great, close relationship with him, and he with them.  I know that being able to rely on your father is such a great blessing and influence in your life.

No comments: