Tuesday, December 13, 2011

{divorce, remarriage, blending families}

Last week Brother Williams had his wife come in so that they could both speak with us about remarriage and blending families.  I am so grateful she was willing to do that.  I love that Brother Williams could have personal experience with this so that he could really teach us from knowledge, not just a textbook.  Although I am quite positive it was not an easy thing to transition to for them, they truly seem to be on the furthest side of the 'positive' end of the scale.  Theirs was truly a great example to see in action.

We started mapping out families a couple days before Sister Williams came to class.  We started talking about all invovled when a divorce happens and how others might be shut out, or be too close, feel unwanted, feel torn, etc...it pretty much was a big mess of scribbles on the board by the end.  One girl said out loud, "My head hurts."  We all laughed in class.  But then Brother Williams said over us laughing, "My heart hurts."  I remember feeling very solemn inside when he said that.  It literally was like I felt a weight come over me when he said those words.  It was very powerful.  I knew that he personally understood some of the difficulties of what he was teaching and so it was very humbling to listen to him so tenderly and sincerely say, "My heart hurts."

I hope that I can do my very best to not only better myself, but also in remembering to lift those in my family and support everyone, no matter if I am married once or twice, have children, step children or adopted children.  I want my family to be close and always know that I love them.  And I surely hope that I am never the reason behind the hurt in anyone's heart.

No comments: