Sunday, October 30, 2011

important 1st lessons for newlyweds

The other day in class we discussed important things to learn about and be aware of when you are newly married.  One thing that my professor brought up that really struck a chord with me was about how you and your new spouse would go about solving problems and dealing with disagreements.  He brought up the following scriptures:

Ephesians 6:12

      "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

D&C 121:43

      "Reproving betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of love toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy;
      "That he may know that thy faithfulness is stronger than the cords of death."

I loved both of these scriptures.  My teacher talked about the one in Ephesians and how it can be directed towards couples; we are literally engaged in a war against the evil things of this world brought on by the Adversary.  We should not work against one another, but work together to fight and ultimately conquer this force for evil.  I think that this is a great reminder of what we are really here to accomplish and prove to ourselves and our Heavenly Father.

The scripture in D&C was great as well.  My teacher discussed it in length.  He said that betimes  means 'seasonally', not often.  Also, the word sharpness has been talked about by Elder Groberg to mean "with strategic precision".  I loved that!  It doesn't mean sharpness of tongue and attitude or words.  No, it means with exactness.  Not overstepping any bounds and having your corrective measures leak over into other parts of that person's life.

I think that these things had a great impact on me not only because I definitely could improve on them and make sure to really see that I speak kindly to others at all times, never allowing a negative thought to come to my mind or be shared with others, but to always speak in an uplifting way of all.  I also know that I was prompted to make this a lifelong goal of mine so that I can never hurt someone else.  I know that learning to create this habit now will help me to become this way and be this type of person throughout my life.

No comments: