Monday, September 26, 2011

research and re-thinking

Last week my professor had us research information of our own choice regarding the family.  He also had us look for BAD research.  How fun is that?!  Google was my best friend.

But that's besides the point.

The point is really about how skewed things are these days.  That's what I kept thinking about as I was looking up scholarly journals amid crummy, bad personal 'knowledge' that was presented as fact.

There were a couple websites I found that had "Doctors" writing the posts and whatnot, but yet there was no place to view their CV.  Nothing.  No accreditation to anybody or anything.  Screamed phony to me.  If you have a personal view, put it out there as such.  It made me sad to see one website hosting a link to Your Own Divorce Papers - Easy!  Fast!  Quick!  Finish in 1 Hour!  Why does everything have to be so accessible these days?  So easy to accomplish...when to me a divorce (for the most part) shouldn't be counted as an accomplishment.  [I definitely know that there are very serious reasons for someone to get a divorce, but I believe that most divorces are not for those reasons]  I just didn't like finding things on websites that constantly made it seem like a family is a problem.  Or that it creates problems (well, duh!  we're human.  and trying to live with other humans...NOT easy).  And when those problems come up, it was quick to note that they were not your problem, but caused by someone else.

What about needing people, and loving people?  I know it probably sounds cliche and naive, but still: why can't we all be a bit more loving, patient and understanding?  Even if that understanding means that we just accept to understand that we don't understand why another person does something, or doesn't, and still love them and try to work things out?

All I can say after that is that I am so very grateful for the Gospel and the knowledge that I have and the beliefs that I have, as well.  I'm so grateful and feel very blessed to know that we can be sealed to our families for all time and eternity.  It definitely gives me more reason to try a little bit harder to be a little bit more humble and willing to be patient and understanding of my family.  We all have weaknesses, but let's try not to make one of them being able to love our family unconditionally.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for what you say. All this confusion about the family seems to be caused by Satan. With the Gospel of Jesus Christ, we can get through any family difficulty, just as long as we follow the commandments and exercise more love, like you said.